Tuesday, February 27, 2007

We're here and we have her!

I apologize for not being able to blog up until now. Unfortunately, when I open up to post blogs, everything is written in Chinese and I have been trying to rely on my memory to figure out how to post. Then, we realized that the adapter we brought (China uses a different voltage than the U.S.)was only for a two prong plug and the computer's was a three prong. Luckily, the hotel was able to provide us with the correct one. Hopefully, this post will be able to get through.

Our adventure began with an extremely long flight. We flew to LA with no problems and had a 14 hour layover until our plane left for China. We had gotten a hotel room with the thought that we would be able to sleep and shower. We all showered, but couldn't sleep. We did watch movies all afternoon (thanks Tia for providing those!). By this time, poor Heidi's head cold had gotten worse and she wasn't feel too well. The plane to China had tiny seats and tiny aisles. Just walking down the aisles to my seat I kept hitting everyone with my backpack. The flight was uneventful. On the plane we had to fill out forms regarding our health and what we needed to declare. Heidi and I were laughing at the translation because one option you could check was "snivling", we figured that meant a runny nose and since Heidi was sick, I believe she picked that one (she's asleep right now so I can't confirm). Once we got to Guangzhou, China, Leslie and I got through customs with no problems. I turned to wait for Heidi and saw them taking her off to another room. I started to go after her when Leslie reminded me they had already taken my forms and I wouldn't be allowed back in. I waited until I saw the guy that took Heidi off and questioned him, but he had limited English and I speak no Chinese and all I understood was "wait here for a minute". I figured they held her back due to her cold, I remember reading in the paper about their fear of sick people entering the country due to SARs and the Avian Flu. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, Heidi came out. Thank goodness when they took her temperature, she was normal. When we got to the hotel, Heidi went to sleep to try to get over her cold and Leslie and I ventured out. We went to Starbucks (yes I am forced to go here, since there is no Barnies in China that I can find!), 7-11 (to pick up drinks and snacks) and McDonalds (to pick up a little dinner). As you can tell, our hotel is surrounded by American companies.

No comments: