Thursday, March 1, 2007

Orphanage and first steps





Today we were taken to one of the orphanages here in Chongquig. It wasn't Sarae's orphanage because her's is too far away (6 hours). This one was 2 hours and 4 of the babies in our group came from it. Surprisingly, only one other family decided to go, so it was a small group. One section is for the infants and the other section is for the elderly. We were allowed to go look at the baby's rooms, the kitchen and where they bath the babies. I think we all thought it was much better than what we had imagined in our minds. They obviously care for the babies and do the best jobs they can. The way they bath them is hysterical. They have this blown up pool like object (except it is smaller circumference wise and taller). They put a floatation device around the baby's head and place them in the pool/bath. I was glad to hear that once the babies are no longer considered babies, they are placed in foster care so they have a more normal upbringing.

We are seeing more and more of Sarae's personality come out. She is starting to laugh and smile more and actually went to a couple of other people today without crying. The exciting thing is that she actually took 3 steps today. She seemed pretty proud of herself afterwards! If you want to make her laugh, just tickle her tummy and she'll show you her pearly whites - all 5 of them!

The girls are asleep and I didn't get to download their pictures so I can only post the pics on my camera.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Colleen I am so happy for you and I'm really enjoying your blog. She is a sweet baby girl and beautiful! I can't wait to meet her myself. This is a great way to keep up with your girls. Give MY BABY a hug for me. (smile)